Author Topic: C420  (Read 171 times)

Rick Berg

• Global Admin.
  • Monon Conductor
    • Rick's MONON Railroad Site
C420
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
Me and Ron were talking today and pointed out something about the C420's. I did know about #513 (hint)..... but does anyone know what is different about the C420's when looking at them.........Another one of the C420's is different also... btw, ?
Rick Berg

Christopher Stone

• Monon Fireman
Re: C420
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:11:43 AM »
The gong ("trolly bell") on the short hood?  Also the bells (and the mounting brackets) on top of the short hood were not all the same, as they came off of various Steam Engines, and apparently had been sitting in the shops for more than 20 years by the time they were installed on the C420s. 

516 has both a gong on the side and a recycled bell on top of the short hood.

I think I read somewhere that the original bells were under the running boards and would get clogged by high snow drifts, hence the need to experiment with different bells.

Rick Berg

• Global Admin.
  • Monon Conductor
    • Rick's MONON Railroad Site
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:37:41 AM »
That is correct, until Ron pointed it out, I did not realize #516 had the side mounted bell also. And Ron mentioned the same about the freezing of the bell.
Rick Berg

Ron Marquardt

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 11:45:31 PM »
First I've heard about the recycled steam locomotive bells.  As far as I know they just relocated the bells that came with the locomotives.  Where'd you hear that at Christopher?  / Ron