Author Topic: Carroll County-Monon's Highbridge  (Read 3962 times)

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
Carroll County-Monon's Highbridge
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:19:43 pm »
There is a photo on the current Indiana Preservationist magazine cover showing the Monon Highbridge in Carroll County.  It seems that there is an effort afloat to turn the structure into a rail/trail walking area.  Do any of you in that area have information on this?  I glanced at the magazine today at our county library and read something about a grant for this project.

David

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Re: Carroll County-Monon's Highbridge
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:51:13 pm »
When Delphi was developing the walking train on the former Monon ROW there was a thought about including High Bridge as part of the trail. I do not know if it is still being discussed or the idea has been abandoned. The bridge is still standing and the plan was to go half way across so walkers could get a nice view. In order to provide safety, a new walkway, handrails and other things would have to be added. Like I said, I don't know if that plan has been abandoned or not. There may have also been an issue with a property owner. Attached are two pictures from my last visit in 2006.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:03:24 am »
I  would like to think that this is new money made available as this is a hit issue of Indiana Preservationist, right off the press.  Any members from Carroll Cty or Delphi area may know more.

David

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:18:23 pm »
If anyone is interested, we are working to preserve/develop the Monon High Bridge at Delphi.  We are working currently with CSX in acquisition of the span and a quarter mile of the right-of-way.  We already have a mile of rail bed that we converted ten years ago into a trail.  It leads from the new, four-lane IN-25 highway over a 300-foot long iron bridge from Freedom, IN in Owen County out to the Deer Creek High  Bridge site.  If you have an interest, please contact Monon Society member Dan McCain at (765) 412-4308 or dan.mccain@gmail.com.

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:24:41 am »
I read this week in the local paper that the Delphi bridge was listed in the Top Ten of Indiana structures on the 2016 Endangered Structures by the Indiana Preservationist Magazine.  To my surprise the courthouse in Salem (Washington Cty.) was listed too.