Author Topic: K&IT Bridge Fire  (Read 2316 times)

Steve Dolzall

• Monon Conductor

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
Re: K&IT Bridge Fire
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »
I hope this fire would enlighten the Ohio river front walking group to back off trying to convince NS to allow walking on the K&IT bridge.  Consider the liability with fires and worse.

My wife and I truly enjoy walking the Big Four bridge from Jeffersonville to Louisville, but crossing the K&IT would not be pleasurable.  I recall my Mother, a novice driver at the time, taking a load of younsters across the bridge to go to Fountain Ferry Park (big end of school trip).  The bridge was far from quiet with a definite "hum".  Walking the K&I with it's open barred surface would be a bit scarry.

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:30 pm »
One cold winter's night when I lived in New Albany, I was on my way home from the hostling job 10th. St. depot, when about six or eight blocks north of Broadway I had a flat tire.  No money, no spare, and no jack, and my choices were to walk back to the Victoria Hotel (past all the brothers on the street corners with their fires in 55 gallon drums) and borrow taxi fare off one of #5's crewmen, or walk to the K&IT yards and then to New Albany across the K&IT bridge.  I chose the latter.  Walking across that bridge at 10:00 PM in a blizzard was an adventure.  At least I had a flashlight with me.

Hah,  / Ron

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:41:38 pm »
Ron,

When are you going to write that book? 

David