Author Topic: F3 Passenger Paint Schemes  (Read 4879 times)

Chuck Stewart

• Monon Conductor
F3 Passenger Paint Schemes
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:36:59 pm »
Looking through Lewnard's book.  Apparently, the passenger F3's were delivered with a light gray top and roof (pages 24 & 25).  Then they had light gray on top and a black roof (page 14).  Then came dark gray on top and a black roof (page 15).  And finally, they went black and gold.  My question:  when were the units first painted the dark gray on top and black roofs?

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
Re: F3 Passenger Paint Schemes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 11:42:01 pm »
The black roofs and the darker gray colors were introduced at different times, Chuck.  The roofs on first two sets of passenger cars converted in 1947 for the Indianapolis trains were gray to match the new F3's but the the next two sets converted in 1948 for the Louisville trains appeared with black roofs after management apparently had decided that having gray roofs was impractical, given diesel exhaust soot and that most other railroads still were under steam at the time.  So it wasn't long after that the locomotives were repainted to match.

On the other hand, all the passenger equipment, cars and locomotives, retained their original two-tone gray until around 1954, as shown in this 1954 photo of one of the 20-series coaches in its original paint, followed by a newly repainted
single-tone-gray Diner-Parlor-Observation, either #58 or 59.

Steve Dolzall

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:49:24 pm »
If you notice the photos of 81-B taken at the Hammond station and Brookston in 1953, it has a light gray roof following rebuild from the Monon station wreck.

Steve

Chuck Stewart

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:21 am »
Thanks, Tim!  Great info.  Loved the photo, Steve.  And I thought the Rochelle, IL crossing was impressive!  Wow!

Eric Reinert

• Monon Conductor
    • My rrpicturearchives.com site
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:40:40 am »
Nice photo Tim! This also shows clearly the IHB waiting in the background ready to deliver to either the Monon or Erie, and how they got to both yards.  Chuck: This view doesn't even show the NKP's double track main in back of the photographer that added another 8 diamonds to the total, and all in the middle of downtown!
Eric Reinert

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:34:44 pm »
Indeed Eric!  There were TWENTY

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:40:08 pm »
diamonds in that set of crossings!  And the loud crashing noises they made right there in the middle of downtown was unbelievable.  Especially when two trains were passing each other right on top of them.  Music to the ears to railfans but quite annoying to everybody else!

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:48:42 pm »
You're right, Steve.  Seems like not all the passenger F3's received the black roofs--perhaps not EVER.  Hadn't noticed that before.  Even though I myself took this photo of 82-A during a Hammond station stop in 1961!

Chuck Stewart

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:28:46 am »
Thanks, guys!  That definitely would have been something to see and hear.
I confess I enjoy watching...and listening...to the TRAINS webcam at the Rochelle Train Park.  Check it out if you haven't already.  About a hundred trains a day.

Cully Kowal

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 09:41:47 pm »
For what it's worth: I model in 2-rail O Scale and I have recently had a C420 and a BL2 painted Black and Gold by Engine House Services in Green Bay, WI.  Floquil paint is out of production, and if you do find an old bottle, the results may not be to your liking.  The painter used Tru-color paint TCP 171 BLACK and TCP 085 GOLD.  I am very pleased with the results.  Cully