Author Topic: The Survivor  (Read 4977 times)

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
The Survivor
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:33:56 am »
I found this postcard entitled "The Survivor" recently on eBay.  The caption reads:

"The Survivor" Formerly Japauldon (1926) used by the presidents of the B&O, Monon and L&N Railroads.

Is this the former-Monon business car currently located near Atlanta?

George L.

Kevin Ruble

• Monon Fireman
Re: The Survivor
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 03:40:31 pm »
That's the one George, most recently owned by restaurateur Dante Stephenson.

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:01:55 am »
Here's another shot of The Survivor owned by Dante Stephenson.  No date or location on the caption.

George L.

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 08:03:45 pm »
Su[not allowed]ect: Dante Stephenson, link to news after his death:

https://www.ajc.com/things-to-do/atlanta-restaurant-blog/dante-stephensen-founder-of-iconic-atlanta-nightspot-dantes-down-the-hatch-dies/JZKXVFHQ6VAPPIQV4AZJ3RXUVU/

The current location or status of his home "The Survivor" is unknown. The car is mentioned in the news article.

Pete Pedigo

• Administrator
  • Monon Engineer
  • MRHTS PRESIDENT #5
    • NEWX
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 07:33:31 am »
It is unlikely the car has been moved. It would be impossible to remove it by truck because of its location. It needs a complete COT&S. It has some issues that the Lynne did not have that must fixed before it can move by rail. I had been talking with Dante for several years about the future of this business car on behalf of the society. I was removed from that mission after someone in the society started a lie rumor that I was trying to obtain the car for myself which was certainly not true. But the damage was done and last I heard George Lortz was in charge of talking to Dante. Maybe George Lortz can enlighten us.
Pete Pedigo

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 08:19:16 pm »
I talked to Dante by phone several years ago because we were anticipating doing a THL article about The Survivor and wanted the latest about his use of the car.  He was very cordial and we talked about someday getting The Lynne and The Survivor together for some type of event, but he acknowledged that there would have to be some significant repairs done to The Survivor, which he had not planned on at that time.

Nice guy and good to talk to.  BTW, Dante was a lifetime member of The Society.  We wrote an obituary for him that will appear in the November issue of THL.

Unfortunately, if I was in charge of on-going communications with Dante, no one told me about it.  I don't know what has happened to the car now that Dante has passed.

George L.