Author Topic: Southend abandonment news  (Read 4153 times)

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
Southend abandonment news
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:14 pm »
This is from another board (12/7):
"INDOT received official notification of abandonment application for the Monon from Bedford to New Albany this morning.   Should see it show up on STB site in next few days."

Jim Osborne

• Inactive
  • Monon Fireman
Re: Southend abandonment news
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:50 pm »
If the rails ever get pulled, what would be the chances of the Society getting their hands on a few scraps? I for one would love to get about a foot-long memento of rail.

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:55:07 am »
I keep a watch on the Federal Register Table of Contents for another organization...I will check recent history and keep an eye out for STB/FRA postings related to the Monon.

Going back to mid-November the only CSX abandonment is in Virginia.

If/when I see a link to the publication I will post it.  :-[

Mark J
Columbia MO

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:40:51 am »
Still no publication of the south end abandonment in the Federal Register, although local news media (the Orleans Progress-Examiner) have picked up on it. From my reading of an article on the Orange County Commission meeting, it may be that someone needs to remind the county attorney (solicitor, not prosecutor) to research the topic of reversionary title to the right-of-way. The county legal sharpshooter seems to be of the opinion that the ROW will remain the property of CSX even after the rails are pulled - and under the 1840's/50's terms of the grants, I am not at all sure that this is the case.

I will scan & post the article later today - then look into contacting Orange County unless y'all convince me that it is not needed.

Mark J
Columbia MO

PS: There was this link in the FR about trackage rights for CSX 'proper' over INRD around Sullivan that may be of interest:

Link:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-12-22/html/2017-27604.htm

Summary:

The Indiana Rail Road Company--Temporary Trackage Rights
Exemption--CSX Transportation, Inc.

The Indiana Rail Road Company (INRD), a Class II rail carrier, has
filed a verified notice of exemption under 49 CFR 1180.2(d)(8) for its
acquisition of limited, temporary overhead trackage rights over a line
of railroad of CSX Transportation, Inc. (CSXT) between its connection
with CSXT at approximately CSXT milepost OZA 204.5 at Sullivan, Ind.,
and the connection with trackage serving the Oaktown Mine at
approximately CSXT milepost OZA 219.05 at Oaktown, Ind., a distance of
approximately 14.55 miles.

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 02:49:08 pm »
Ok, folks...here it is, from Monday's Federal Register:

Here's the link in text format : https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-01-08/html/2018-00137.htm

And here it is in PDF: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-01-08/pdf/2018-00137.pdf

For all that we knew it was coming, it's a bit tough to handle.

Mark Johnson
Former south-ender

Columbia Missouri

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:40:12 pm »
From the January 24, 2018 issue of the Orleans Progress-Examiner (reprinted by permission, from an article by John F. Noblitt reporting on the Orange County Commission meeting of the previous week)

"County Attorney JC Tucker reported on the letter he was requested to draft for the commissioners addressing the proposed closing of the CSX portion of the rail line through the northern part of the county, saying it was ready for review. Dixon added he has received email information there may be an interested company who wishes to keep the line in operation all the way to New Albany. Tucker requested that article be forwarded to him and he will look into drafting a letter of support."

This is news I have not seen until now...

Mark J
Columbia, MO

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 10:53:14 am »
A question for south-end folks in Indiana - is there any further news on either a possible sale or track removal of the Bedford-New Albany trackage? I haven't seen any mention of the railroad in the Orleans Progress-Examiner in some months. Nothing shows up via Google with a later date than a trails meeting on March 20 of this year...

Mark J
Columbia, MO

Justin Asbery

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »
The last I heard it was going to be used for a trail.

Justin