Author Topic: Monon Heritage  (Read 1252 times)

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
Monon Heritage
« on: August 06, 2021, 03:57:37 pm »
Kind of losing track of the census listing diesels belonging to our Monon; Monon cabooses; Monon boxcars,  Monon Hoppers, Monon flatcars.   My memory says the only diesel is the BL-2 at New Haven, KY.  It seems we had a flatcar at Linden and a boxcar there too.  There was also an early diesel at Noblesville, but need an update on it.   Cabooses, there were several, one at the World Headquarters (Salem), one at French Lick, one at Noblesville.

Thanks, to all who contribute.

David Longest

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
Re: Monon Heritage
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 09:45:56 pm »
Caboose 81526 at Bluegrass Railroad Museum, Versailles, KY.

Rick Berg

• Global Admin.
  • Monon Dispatcher
    • Rick's MONON Railroad Site

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 02:17:11 am »
Rick,

Thanks for maintaining the list.  There are changes that are needed, but it will take some lengthy research to do that.  According to my notes, the only C-420 left is the one at NDC.  The MALX unit was scrapped and so was the APA unit.  A&M has used Monon C-420 parts on their other C-420s, but nothing is left that can be called a complete Monon unit.  I think that SW1 5 was also scrapped, but that needs to be checked.

George L. 

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 09:47:42 am »
I really found the list enlightening.  Had no idea there were that many Monon cars, engines, and cabooses.  Good to know!  Thanks, David

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 08:50:43 pm »
David,

Without added research, we know of 3 former-Monon deisels still in existence - #DS-50 (HVRM), #32 (KRM) and #517 (NDC).  There's a possibility that #5 (KM) has not been scrapped yet.

There are three business cars still in existence - #2 (MRHTS), #3 (Atlanta) and #99 (Green Bay).  There is rumor of a fourth car in California.

There are numerous cabooses, some box cars and a few flatcars around.  It would take a lot of research to update the lists on the MRHTS website.

George L.