Author Topic: New Albany to Mitchell  (Read 398 times)

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
New Albany to Mitchell
« on: August 27, 2021, 09:50:26 am »
I was in New Albany today early enough to catch this interchange CSX at the old Pillsbury location, now Sazerac Co.  Is there any rail action on the Mitchell to New Albany section besides here?[/img]

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
Re: New Albany to Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 09:30:00 am »
I subscribe to the Orleans Progress-Examiner and I have seen nothing substantive about the railroad in quite some time. There has been a tiny amount of chatter about a rail-trail in the Orleans - Salem area, and somewhere or other (newspaper or rumor mill) I remember hearing that CSX would be pulling up the rails sometime in 2022. For whatever reason, they don't seem to be in any hurry.

The only 'action' seems to be the almost unbearable excitement of watching the rails rust, the weeds grow, and the ties rot. Very sad. I have lots of good memories of heavy freights rumbling through the area, although I haven't lived there since 1978.

Mark J
Columbia MO - but part owner of a farm near Leipsic, straddling the Monon

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 11:45:23 am »
I reported this spring that the siding in New Albany MP316, at Hoosier Panel (factory now a park) had been removed.  I also asked whether other communities toward Salem, Michell had seen sidings removed, but received no response there. I believe this switch at Sazerac Co. (was Pillsbury) is the only current action between NA and Mitchell, but not positive.

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 11:02:58 am »
Sidings at Orleans, Fogg, and Smedley have been removed as far as I know. There aren't many others - Campbellsburg was relatively short (30 or so cars) and may have been gone before abandonment.

Mark J
Columbia MO