Author Topic: Michigan City Track Removal  (Read 3311 times)

Pete Pedigo

• Administrator
  • Monon Engineer
  • MRHTS PRESIDENT #5
    • NEWX
Michigan City Track Removal
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:09:18 pm »
What year & month, did the L & N pull the actual track out of Michigan City ?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:31:34 am by Pete Pedigo »
Pete Pedigo

Mike Albert

• Inactive
  • Monon Brakeman
Re: Michigan City Track Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:02 pm »
The Michigan City Branch  was abandoned north of Medaryville on April 18, 1981.  A portion of the trackage in Michigan City was retained and operated by the South Shore.  The trackage on the north end that served Pioneer Lumber was accessed by the South Shore through the trackage by the Nipsco plant.  I think yard is called Lincoln Street or Lincoln Yard.  The south end trackage was retained south of US 20 to service Brown, Inc.  The South Shore serviced this trackage by trackage rights on the former C&O between the CSS-C&O interchange just east of the Shops westward to the former Monon-C&O interchange at Round House.

Mike

Pete Pedigo

• Administrator
  • Monon Engineer
  • MRHTS PRESIDENT #5
    • NEWX
Re: Michigan City Track Removal
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »
Mike,

Thanks,  I spoke with Barry Brown and he indicated that they moved the car to Burn Harbor because "they" were waiting to remove the track.  I was  wondering which track he was speaking of then and when that part was removed.  He thinks he has VHS video for us of that last move from Michigan City.   Adele has it now and is going to get it to me for a DVD I want to make of the car.
Pete Pedigo