Author Topic: Henry Thornton sleeper  (Read 3831 times)

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
Henry Thornton sleeper
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:58:52 am »
Did the Henry Thornton sleeper car have a Monon car number?

George L.

Mike Aufderheide

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
Re: Henry Thornton sleeper
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 02:02:23 pm »
George,

The one decent photo I have does not show a car number.  As a rule the Pullman cars had names only and were identified by plan number so that operations people knew what type of car they were.  All the Monon cars were plan number 2585D, 10 section, 1 drawing room, 2 compartments with ice air conditioning.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Steve Dolzall

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »
No, in the Official Register Of Passenger Train Equipment the four Monon owned sleepers were always identified by name. They carried no numbers.

Steve

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:48:59 am »
Thanks for the update, guys.

Attached is the only photo I have of the Henry Thornton.  The location appears to be French Lick.  Does anyone have information and photos of the other three sleepers?

George L.

Scott R Ikemeyer

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:56 pm »
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I am building a model of SHT, and have a question regarding the lettering. The color image of the model supplied with the kit shows black ‘Monon’ and ‘Pullman’ lettering. Is this correct, or is it red like other red/grey cars?

Obviously, photos are scarce/non-existent, aside from the single black and white photo that everyone seems to have, does anyone have a concrete answer as to what color the lettering was?

Thanks for the info!