Author Topic: Monon Caboose?  (Read 7781 times)

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
Monon Caboose?
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:15:05 pm »
I am sure this is old news, but the Bluegrass Scenic RR and Museum in Versailes, KY, has a caboose that they believe was a Monon caboose. I was unable to copy the photo on their web page, but url is www.BluegrassRailroad.com.  My daughter went to college with the daughter of one of their volunteers.  His first name fails me, but he is a Begley.  Some may know him.
David

Rick Dreistadt

Re: Monon Caboose?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:51:42 pm »
Wouldn't be Dennis Begley, L&N/CSX engineer on the short line, would it?
Rick

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:14:38 pm »
Here's their Monon caboose picture David.  / Ron

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:04:19 pm »
www.monon.org shows that the caboose at BGRM was Monon 81526:
http://www.monon.org/caboose/b81526.jpg

The equipment page at http://www.bgrm.org/#/cabooses/4514605564 says that:
"We are currently researching this caboose, but we believe it was originally a Monon caboose acquired by the L&N. Any information on this caboose would be appreciated. It is currently serving as storage for track equipment  till appropriate facilities can be built. The caboose is very solid inside and out and a excellent canidate for a quick cosmetic restoration once it's heritage is fully researched."

Stew

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
The Bluegrass Railroad Museum has had this caboose for many years.  It is former-Monon wide-vision caboose # 81526.  It came to the musuem from the Clinchfield Railroad and was their #1065 (see attached photo).  Prior to being owned by CRR, the caboose was lettered L&N numbers 917, 6917 and 6491.

The Monon Society has tried to purchase this caboose over the years.  At one time the price was reasonable, but other logistics prevented that from happenng.  Eventually, BGRM decided to spend the money for full restoration, but the last time I saw it and took photos, it was being used as a storage barn for a large amount of railroad hardware.  It's possible they have now placed it in railfan service.

George L.

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
Monon Caboose?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »
I saw it yesterday and it is still used for storage.

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:56:07 pm »
An officer of the Blue Grass Railroad Museum told me Sunday that their exMonon caboose 81526 is possibly going to get a paint job next Spring if the funds are available.  If they do that, lets hope for Monon and not L&N or CRR. He said the caboose would continue to be used for storage.

Stew

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:02:41 am »
I wonder if it would help make the decision on paint color and lettering if some of us volunteered to come down and help with the work?

8)

Mark J

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:56:21 am »
I was told last night that if the BGRM restores the caboose, it will be restored as a Monon caboose.  We'll wait and see what develops this Spring.

Stew

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 09:17:27 am »
The ex-Monon caboose 81526 at the BGRM was used on the end of a train this past weekend. See attached photo.

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 10:44:54 am »
Is the BGRM also a 'working railroad' or did they just have the flat and caboose out as a 'test load' or a work train?

Mark J
Columbia MO

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 08:00:42 pm »
BGRM runs excursions only on non-Winter weekends.  The train pictured was run for a private photo run-by.  It's the first time I've seen a photo of the Monon caboose on a train there.  It is used for tool storage and sits near the station.

Stew

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 12:45:44 pm »
Latest word is that 81526 will be restored in Spring 2020. When I get more information next year I'll pass it on.