Author Topic: The Pumpkin Vine A "Hoodoo" Road  (Read 2785 times)

Ron Marquardt

The Pumpkin Vine A "Hoodoo" Road
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:12:23 pm »
The good people of Smithville were understandly displeased when the Monon completed their new line between Clear Creek and Harrodsburg, effectively making the old line through Smithville a long passing track, and when a head-on collision occurred on the new line near Ketchem's Mill on May 14, 1909. article attached, the Smithville News siezed on the opportunity to excoriate the Monon for bypassing their town.  Our thanks to Martha Fox for making this article available to us.

For those of you who are not familiar with Martha, she is the great-neice of the Monon's famed photographer Joe Bennett, and has been wonderful about sharing photographs and newspaper articles with us.  Her most recent contribution is the rare and beautiful centerfold photo in the latest issue of the THL showing the EMC diesel demonstrators passing the depot in Bloomington, the first diesels to ever run on the Monon, and the rarest Monon picture we've ever found.  Our thanks also to Steve and Gary Dolzall who wrote the excellent article.  / Ron
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:21:00 pm by Ron Marquardt »

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Re: The Pumpkin Vine A "Hoodoo" Road
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:52:12 pm »
Ron. I echo your feelings about the photo and article in the Hoosier Line. I meant to mention something and was sort of busy with other family matters and just kind of slipped my mind. I loved the centerfold picture. Martha hit one out of the park with that picture. Thank you Martha.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

John Butler

• Monon Fireman
Re: The Pumpkin Vine A "Hoodoo" Road
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:51:56 pm »
Nice article Ron.  Interesting to see the I.S. called the pumpkin vine.  I also really enjoyed the Dolzalls latest work in The Hoosier Line.