Author Topic: Hammond Ownership Questions  (Read 9431 times)

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
Re: Hammond Ownership Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 04:15:39 pm »
Thanks, Bob, for posting that 1943 track diagram of State Line Jct.  A PRR drawing!  Wonder why, given no PRR trackage is involved.

Bob Lalich

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 11:25:29 am »
Tim, the SL&IC track, labeled SC&S on the drawing, which extended from State Line Tower to Clarke Jct was owned by the PRR. The PRR also had trackage rights on IHB's former East Chicago Belt. Consequently, PRR trains were regular visitors at SL.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:42:51 pm by Bob Lalich »

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 11:10:32 pm »
Thanks  for the clarification, Bob!

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 08:46:54 pm »
Eric wonders when that Monon industrial trackage along the north bank of the Grand Calumet River saw its last movement.  I can’t answer his question completely, but I’ve located a Monon tracing dated December 1942 that indicates it was still Monon RoW as of that date.  It is a tracing of a C&WI print showing the “Layout of Tracks in the Vicinity of State Line Interlocker” with the first track north of the interlocking tower clearly labeled “CI&L Industry Track”.

I haven't been able to attach the scan of the drawing.  Apparently it's too large a file for the MononBoard system to handle.  So anybody wanting a copy, contact me at tpswan@charter.net and I'll send you one--hopefully.

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 07:37:02 pm »
Mike Aufderheide has found a way to reduce that December 1942 State Line drawing's size without reducing its clarity or readability one bit.  It is attached.  Thanks, Mike!

The drawing clearly labels the first track north of the interlocking tower as "CI&L Industry Track" plus shows it leading off C&WI trackage in Illinois.

Don't be fooled by the drawing's unusual orientation.  Take note of the direction arrow in its upper right corner.

Robert Wheeler

• Archivist Emeritus
  • Monon Conductor
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 05:06:55 pm »
Rather than start a new thread I am adding this comment here about NORTH ARROWS since they are mentioned about the CI&L Drawing in the comment below.

I learned so long ago that I have forgotten when. It was possibly in school before even starting to work.

ALLWAYS check the north arrow on DRAWINGS, or VALPLANS (not necessarily maps).

The drawings are oriented so that there is maximum information on the drawing. Also the company may have a standard way of orienting the drawings. State Highway drawings and many railroad VALPLANS have the southerly or easterly direction, but not necessarily due south or east on the LEFT end of the drawing. This makes the stationing or MPs read from left to right.

I followed this practice in making the schematics on the Tour GUIDE Books. In fact there were two north arrows one Compass North and the other Railroad North as they nearly always differed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:12:01 pm by Robert Wheeler »
Robert E. Wheeler, PE, Archivist Emeritus rewheeler@iquest.net
MONHTS Tippecanoe Member #13

Bob Lalich

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:21 am »
Thanks for posting the drawing Tim and Mike! I have not seen that one before.