Author Topic: The Bridges of Water Valley  (Read 1571 times)

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
The Bridges of Water Valley
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »
My favorite spot, Water Valley. Two pictures of the original wooden trestle built through the swamps and crossing the Kankakee River between Shelby and Thayer. This area was also home to several hunting and fishing clubs and lodges and at one time Water Valley boasted a depot and was a stop for passenger trains. In the 50's, the wooden trestle was replaced with a steel bridge, built by American Bridge. The Monon also filled in about 150 of the former bridge with new fill.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:55:06 pm by TomK »
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Joseph Novosel Jr.

• Monon Fireman
    • Mainline America
Re: The Bridges of Water Valley
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:40:09 am »
As close to the water's surface as that bridge was, I wonder how many times over the decades it was impassible, if ever?

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Re: The Bridges of Water Valley
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:58 am »
That is a good question Joe. From all that I have read, while researching, the tracks were never out of service during flooding. The 1908 flood is considered the worst to hit the Shelby/ Water Valley area. In the pictures, the flood waters have advanced to almost the crossing of the Monon and the NYC Kankakee Belt. These residences are all south of the NYC tracks. When the river was dredged and straightened the area still was prone to flooding, but not like 1908.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org