Author Topic: Mystery Depot Picture 2  (Read 2142 times)

Ron Marquardt

Mystery Depot Picture 2
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:13:54 am »
Here's another one I ran across in Dave Ritenour's collection that I hadn't seen before.  Tom will probably know where it is, but the rest of you may have some fun speculating about it's location.
Obviously in the early days they used any building that was available.  This is dated 1898.  / Ron

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Re: Mystery Depot Picture 2
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:44 pm »
I know where it is. But, I will let others have some fun first.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:32:56 pm »
If it's a depot, where's the TRACK???

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:07:07 pm »
I don't know for sure Tim, but I believe the depot is the building off to the right.  The big building with the men standing is the general store.  That's the information Tom has too.  The tracks are apparently down in the dip to the right.  / Ron
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:14:47 pm by Ron Marquardt »

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 04:17:19 pm »
Armour depot and General Store, 1882.  Armour Town was established in 1882 and the depot was built. The depot is the smaller structure off to the right of the photograph. The first Agent was Henry Massoth, also ran the general store which is the larger building in the photo.  The store once sat where Cedar Lake Concrete Products is today. Between the old line and the new line, relocated in 1948. The depot, I have been told by local historians was a carbon copy of the one at Creston, In.

On the Google Earth image. The original ROW is in red. At the time, there was no underpass. In the photo, you are looking northeast. The depot is marked as the yellow box, so the tracks Tim would be behind the depot wall pictured. Crystal clear isn't it.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »
Very good explanation Tom, thanks.  / Ron