Author Topic: 1969 Demolition at Shops  (Read 1728 times)

Ron Marquardt

1969 Demolition at Shops
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:03:17 pm »
Reference Mark's comments about the demolition of the smokestack and buildings at Shops.  In the attached Dick Fontaine photos, one taken in July 1969, and the other later in the fall of 1969, you can see when the general destruction occurred.  Somewhere I have Fontaine pictures of the stack falling, but I can't lay my hands on them right now.  / Ron

Gene Remaly

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
Re: 1969 Demolition at Shops
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:21:59 am »
While taping the loco shop demo, I got former employee Garth ???? talking about the smoke stack demo.  He described how the contractor dug under the footing and cribbed it up with railroad ties. They then set them on fire. as the fire burned the stack cracked just where it was supposed to and fell right on the mark.

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:57:48 am »
Gene and others. Are these the pictures? Cookie allowed me to scan these many years ago. I believe they were given to him by Mr. Fontaine.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:43:55 am »
Yes, those are the Fontaine photos.  There were five in the original sequence.  Dick couldn't leave the office right then when Cookie called so he sent one of his office girls over with his camera.  She actually shot the pictures, and did a very nice job.  / Ron

Mark Baker

• Inactive
  • Monon Fireman
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:06 pm »
Cookie told me the same story about burning the ties to bring down the stack. I remember the big fire very well. I also remember the demo of the buildings. It all started when they cut the lock and opened the gate that was halfway between Stillwell and Hall streets. I and some friends were there watching and one of the bosses told us we should throw rocks at the windows in the old car shop.(the only time we did) After the tranfer table pit was filled in, that gate became the main entrance to the yard office. Before that, you drove in the main gate at 18th and Monon Ave. You drove past the office bldg., through the gate, across 2 tracks and then down the narrow road to the yard office. Some of you may remember how narrow the road was. I walked through all of those buildings with my Dad before they tore them down. Living so close, we passed the shops every day and when we heard the transfer table moving, we would ride our bikes over to watch the big red tractor move cars around the shops. In the days before video games, we were always outside and living next to the shops was about as cool as it gets.
Mark