Author Topic: Depot construction at Francesville, Medarysville  (Read 2680 times)

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
Depot construction at Francesville, Medarysville
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »
I have been studying some county histories trying yo establish depot construction dates.  I am attaching a couple of possible evidences of why I think many depots may have been built sooner that we think.  These articles seem to
be saying that the Medarysville 1856), and Francesville (1853-54) depots were built about as soon as the Monon put the tracks down.

I may be overlooking something so let me know.  I have found other suggestive writings.

David

Robert Gibson

• Monon Conductor
Re: Depot construction at Francesville, Medarysville
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:28:56 pm »
Nice article.  The railroad had to have a place to conduct business so it stands to reason that depots would be a priority.

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:43 pm »
I thought the Francesville article was with the first posting.  I will try again.

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »
David, no doubt there were  depots built that early, but they were probably not the same depots that we remember and have photos of.  For example, LaCrosse had a Monon depot built in 1861, but it was replaced by a newer depot in 1906 that lasted until the end of agency service there in 1938.  Some of the early depots were more of less just sheds and shelter houses.  / Ron

PS, I also have evidence of three different depots at San Pierre, the first being rather primitive.

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:16:07 pm »
I am showing a possible three there also.  My dates may be off some, though.

San Pierre      MP 023.3   Comb.   1852-before 1885   (Culvertown)                       A Standard History of Starhe County IN
San Pierre      MP 023.3   Comb.   1885-1920s           (Culvertown)
San Pierre      MP 023.3   Comb.   1924- post 1976   Angled toward both tracks; Annual Rep. cd

David

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:02:18 pm »
Well, your dates are probably about right judging from the pictures I have, but my pictures are all undated.  Of course there are always questions that arise.  Since we don't know what happened to depot #2 (I heard it burned), is the picture I "assume" to be depot #1 actually #1 or was it a temporary depot used between the demise of #2 and the building of #3.  It appears to be a very primitive building (as most of the early ones were).  Incidentally, I have pictures showing depot  #2 in two different locations, so it was moved at some time during it history.  / Ron

PS, if you really want to answer some long standing questions, see what you can find out about the evolution of the depots at Monon (Bradford), In., particularly before the Air Line was standard gauged and the name of the town changed (before the wye was installed to head for Chicago).

David Longest

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:08:09 am »
Ron, I am attaching an article that may be of some help.  Let me know if these clear anything up.

David

John Butler

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:12:09 pm »
Ron, I would be very surprised if the Monon used anything other than existing buildings or old cars as temporary depots.  In Bloomington the first temporary depot was in a mill, the second was in an old passenger car.  In the second case in Bloomington the only debate was whether to use the Graham Hotel or not, never on a temporary structure.  If Bloomington (the second highest grossing station) did not merit a separate temporary depot, then I can't imagine lesser stations receiving more investment.