Author Topic: Gosport Postcard  (Read 2652 times)

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
Gosport Postcard
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:12:29 pm »
I found this postcard for sale on eBay (3/24/13).  Very old and the caption is:

"Bridge; Gosport, IN; 1910; Postcard; Piledriver on bridge"

George L.

Pete Pedigo

• Administrator
  • Monon Engineer
  • MRHTS PRESIDENT #5
    • NEWX
Re: Gosport Postcard
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:14:01 pm »
I am bidding on this for the Society.

Pete
Pete Pedigo

Robert Wheeler

• Archivist Emeritus
  • Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:56:13 pm »
Mr. Bidge Contractor, Pete:

I Like the reinforcement(?) piles at the L2 & L4 truss locations on both bridges. In addition note that the pile driver work train locomotive is a D Class 4-4-0.

I did not see any timetable speed or other (locomotive) restrictions before about 1890. There were bridge speed restrictios in the Feb. 16 1908 ETT (CIL #14) but not at this location.

As an after thought iI did see similar piles under atleast one span the Wabash River bridge north of Lafayette as late as 1959!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:40:50 pm by Robert Wheeler »
Robert E. Wheeler, PE, Archivist Emeritus rewheeler@iquest.net
MONHTS Tippecanoe Member #13

Ken Weller

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:11:45 pm »
This picture has come up at least once before.  Attached is a scan of what was then described as a 1908 photo.  No I don't have the actual picture/postcard.
K Weller

Pete Pedigo

• Administrator
  • Monon Engineer
  • MRHTS PRESIDENT #5
    • NEWX
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:00:22 pm »
Well we got it.  Ron and I joint ventured and won it with 3 seconds to go.  The most expensive post card I have bought @ $46.00 !  But something we would love to get a high rez scan from.

Pete
Pete Pedigo

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:05 pm »
In modern times, there was at least one truss bridge left on the MONON that was reinforced with pilings like earlier on that Gosport bridge.  It was on the PM&B quarry branch at Murdock.  See the attached 1960's shots.

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:24:18 pm »
Glad you said at least one Tim, because here's another, and unlike Gosport (which was iron), or the PM&B (which was wooden), this is a steel truss reinforced with pilings.  I'd been across this bridge a thousand times, and didn't know this was under it until Steve Stafford showed me these pictures.  If I had known, I wouldn't have been all that comfortable going over it at 60 mph.   ;D

Incidentally, this bridge is still there and still has track across it.  Anyone know where it is located??

Ron

PS, Tim, I even have a photo of it in the archives that you shot from topside many years ago, but it doesn't show all this stuff under it.

Pete Pedigo

• Administrator
  • Monon Engineer
  • MRHTS PRESIDENT #5
    • NEWX
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:12:21 pm »
Ron,

This bridge is south of Bedford over Leatherwood Crk.  Been there, taken pictures from other angles.
Pete
Pete Pedigo

Pete Pedigo

• Administrator
  • Monon Engineer
  • MRHTS PRESIDENT #5
    • NEWX
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:15:23 pm »
As for the Gosport picture.....those piling are there in this picture because that is how the truss was held up during construction. Those piling were removed as soon as all of the steel had been installed, rivited or bolted.  There was nothing weak about the bridge in the Gosport Photo is was brand new and being erected.

Pete
Pete Pedigo

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:33:03 pm »
Pete got the card for us.  Here it is with the resolution reduced somewhat so it would post on this Chatroom.  It's a wonderful and historical significant picture.  Thanks Pete.  / Ron
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:37:10 pm by Ron Marquardt »