Author Topic: Midnight Special  (Read 3068 times)

Chuck Stewart

• Monon Conductor
Midnight Special
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:09:43 am »
Midnight Special questions: think I read that this train normally ran with two Pullman cars and that one car might be at Union Station and another on the house track at Boulevard Station.  I guess the train stopped around 1:15 AM and picked up the Pullman at Boulevard.  Questions: how early could passengers board, was there a porter assigned to the car(s) to welcome the early boarders (I assume the conductor would be on the train out of Indy), where did the steam for heating the car(s) in winter come from (I’m sure they had electrical service), and were there problems with misbehaving passengers?  I can see passengers boarding early with nothing to do but drink, etc..  I think this whole concept is interesting…but apparently not popular as the train was cancelled in 1945.

Mike Aufderheide

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
Re: Midnight Special
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:54:37 am »
Chuck,

If you look in the "Monon Information" area on the Society website, Buzzy Kepshire has put up a BUNCH of public timetables that have just what your looking for.  See:

http://www.monon.org/documents/timetables/March1983timetable.pdf

Look on page 9.  This is a 1938 timetable that might be as close as you can get.  This train was cancelled due to a Defence Dept. order during the war due to low ridership.  See attached.

No information about roudy riders, it was a first class ticket in a nice neighborhood, though.  I imagine there was steam from Boulevard station for heating?  The car wouldn't last long on a day like today (-5 here)

Mike Aufderheide
Deerfield IL

Chuck Stewart

• Monon Conductor
Re: Midnight Special
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:16 am »
Mike...Thought I had already posted my "thanks" so please accept my belated thanks!