Author Topic: Naval gun turret routing  (Read 3968 times)

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
Naval gun turret routing
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:27:12 pm »
Regarding the recent discussion of thr routing of the Naval gun turrets in 1964, I just noticed the attached photo taken at Orleans in that year.  A clue perhaps that it (they?) were routed south from presumably Bedford, where they had been perhaps delivered by the MILW from Crane (?).

Rick Dreistadt

• Monon Fireman
Re: Naval gun turret routing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:04:27 pm »
Tim, I don't remember these gun turrets coming from the Milw.  I believe they were northbound from Louisville.  Seems that i remember them routed to the Erie at Wilders.

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:43:28 am »
Tim, I believe Rick is right.  I was working the middle division when these were moving, but I don't remember these ever being routed south on the south end.  I think all the gun turrets we handled were moving northbound.  / Ron 

Rick Dreistadt

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:12:31 pm »
Ron, wasn't the Eel River bridge a real tight squeeze for those turrets?

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:45 pm »
Yes, middle Salt Creek (Guthrie) on the south end, and Mill Creek (aka Eel River) on the middle division.  We had to walk those wide loads through both bridges.  There was only about 4"-6" clearance on each side.  They sure were tight.  We always handled them on the head end right behind the rider.  / Ron

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:09:23 am »
With only 4 inches on each side, definitely "slow speed to control sway!"

It would make sense that these were routed north from Louisville - don't know if it is still there, but as recently as the 1990s there was a Naval Ordnance facility in Louisville that refurbished naval guns.

I had some brief involvement with the Navy as a civilian contractor at Crane in 1988-89...

Mark J

Rick Dreistadt

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »
Thanks for confirming my thoughts, Mark.  I thought there was a naval ordinance facility at Louisville, but couldn't remember.  Didn't want to be spreading dis-information.