Author Topic: Six wheel passenger trucks  (Read 1360 times)

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Six wheel passenger trucks
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:53:15 pm »
Okay, I have several people trying to find out what set of Walthers, or other manufacture's six wheel passenger trucks would be the ones that should be on the streamlined passenger cars? Was there a specific name?
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
Re: Six wheel passenger trucks
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:35:52 pm »
I believe the prototype truck was called "Commonwealth".  I modeled mine years ago in HO by cutting the outrigger springs off old AHM six-wheelers and filing the area flat.  Much more recently, I acquired 3 pairs of Walthers #933-1307 "Commonwealth Str. EQ Friction Bearing w/inside Stabilizing Bearing Truck".  I've pretty much retired from modeling now though, so if anyone wants them, let me know.  They were $12.98/pr then.

Walthers current O/L catalog says the above has been replaced by #920-2205, which look pretty close (see attached).  And they are in stock now, at $14.98/pr.

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:37:35 pm »
Here's a prototype photo for comparison.

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:50:40 pm »
Thanks Tim. The modelers who contacted me will be happy. Thanks.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Steve Dolzall

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:25:33 am »
Tim,

Does that mean you're not working on your Monon layout any longer?

Steve

Chad Boas

• Superintendent
  • Monon Fireman
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:06:57 pm »
Walthers has the GSC pre war NYC 6 wheel truck which is the closest to the Monons truck. Its #920-2132 and is the one that comes with the NYC 20th Century Limited Baggage Mail Car.
If you are ever in French Lick, there is one there to compare to the Ex Hospital car used on the Jasper train. These trucks have the brake cylinders mounted on the out sides and can be taken off. You may have to fill some holes.
Chad

Eric Reinert

• Monon Conductor
    • My rrpicturearchives.com site
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 05:23:24 pm »
Here are links to photos of some of the US Army hospital cars from 1945-46. These are great, clear photos that show lots of detail of the six-wheel trucks. Photos taken in Dekalb, IL on the rear of passenger trains.

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/FR-Ritzman-Collection/Miscellaneous-Equipment/i-PSxDrV8

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/FR-Ritzman-Collection/Miscellaneous-Equipment/i-d2RZXc4

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/FR-Ritzman-Collection/Miscellaneous-Equipment/i-5FWjqZB/A
Eric Reinert