Author Topic: Monon Hoppers  (Read 3293 times)

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Monon Hoppers
« on: February 15, 2012, 05:10:59 pm »
Was checking Blueford Shops and saw this N Scale Monon offering 73113 3-Pack $56.85. 3 Bay Hoppers
http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_011.htm
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
Re: Monon Hoppers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:16:25 pm »
Does anyone know if these Monon hopper car numbers were used on other commercial N-scale hopper offerings?

George L.

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:03:03 pm »
I have a lot of Monon twin bay 33' hoppers in N scale, but these Bluford Shops' hoppers are the only ones I have that are 70 ton three bay.  So I think the answer is NO, but I'll check this evening when I get home and compare numbers.  These are the only three bay Monon hoppers that I've seen in commercial N scale.

Stew

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:58:37 pm »
George,

I have ten 2 bay 33' Monon open hoppers (7 CIL and 3 MON), and two of the 3 bay 70 ton hoppers from Bluford Shops.  The two and three car sets from Bluford Shops are available at
http://www.blwnscale.com/Bluford%20Shops%2070%20Ton%203-Bay%20Hopper.htm .

Stew

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:47:55 am »
Stew,

Thanks for the update.  It appears that they are available in one, two and three-pack sets.  One ad indicates that the hoppers are available in six numbers, but it's not clear how to guarantee you can get all six numbers.  Any ideas?

George L.

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:28 am »
I can't find anything about the numbers on any of the websites.  The photo that goes with the product always shows the same car.  I reserved one when they were first announced, forgot about that order, and then ordered another after they were available.  So now I have two cars with the same number, 4546.  If anyone has a  Bluford Monon 70 ton 3 bay with another number let us know what it is.

Stew

Don Kuhlman

• Monon Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:42:23 am »
That car in the picture is a really nice looking hopper.  Since I'm being lazy, were these cars found on the North end a lot, or all over the railroad ?

Thanks

Don K
Don K

Geof Burns

• Monon Brakeman
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:57:49 am »
I am going to assume that most of the coal loads went from Wallace Jtc. north to Chicago and interchange with NYC and other roads on the North end.
Geof

Don Kuhlman

• Monon Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:14:41 pm »
Thanks Geof!

Don K
Don K

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:40 pm »
I am going to assume that most of the coal loads went from Wallace Jtc. north to Chicago and interchange with NYC and other roads on the North end.
Geof
Actually, there was little interchange with NYC and the other eastern roads in either Chicago or Hammond.  Coal going east would have proceeded north on the MC branch for interchange with NYC at San Pierre or Otis, for example.  Coal actually destined for the  Chicago area itself or to the Calumet Region was mostly interchanged with EJ&E at Dyer.  South Hammond was NOT a major coal handler.

Don Kuhlman

• Monon Brakeman
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:22:47 am »
Thanks guys.  Sounds like Dyer was a good Interchange point for a variety of traffic.

Don K
Don K

Greg Hiley

• Inactive
  • Monon Fireman
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 01:02:03 am »
I was just looking through the rolling stock roster on the Monon Site and cannot find the cars numbers as used on the Bluford Shops cars.
Are the Bluford shops using a fictional number or have I missed something
Regards
Greg Hiley

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 01:09:58 pm »
I will need to contact Bluford Shops and inquire. They informed me that they had "done their homework" on road numbers, but I will attempt to find out.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org