Author Topic: HO passenger cars  (Read 1336 times)

Tom Pinnick

HO passenger cars
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:05:24 pm »
Since I have R&G F3s and 2 of those express cars, how about the remainder of a train set of the hospital cars completed with three axle trucks. Could be one at a time a couple of years apart. Cost prohibitive?

Mike Lehman

• Monon Fireman
Re: HO passenger cars
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:05 pm »
Tom,
I have an Atlas HO high-hood C420 and an express car. I would love to have a couple of passenger cars to make up a reasonable-sized train. For a Bloomington guy, it may seem strange that I prefer the looks of the gold and black cars, but that's just how it is. I wouldn't turn up my nose at anything in that "other" garish scheme, though. ;D
A little bit Monon and a whole lot Rio Grande

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »
Passenger car kits of course would be "relatively" inexpensive, RTR costing a lot more, and painted a whole lot more.  So which are you guys talking about???   /Tim.

Mike Lehman

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:30:17 am »
Tim,
Tim,
When you're close to zero, anything greater than one looks good.  :o

Even those old, clunky IHC(?) cars in Monon flavor are next to impossible to find.

I'd be willing to build several kits, but would prefer to avoid that. I'd also be happy with close enough stand-ins or even a decent paint job on a model that would otherwise not be considered a Monon passenger car model. RTR and relatively correct model in Monon colors? Not sure in what universe that'll happen in, but I could see dropping the bucks. Brass? Now, that's probably not in the budget.

In other words, I'm probably less-than-rigorous about ultimate accuracy in comparison to many Monon modellers. But my approach also represents the larger share of any potential market, folks that want something that says "Monon" even if closer inspection by knowledgeable folks will reveal that the car itself is not one that the Monon owned.
A little bit Monon and a whole lot Rio Grande

Tom Pinnick

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:00:16 pm »
Tim, as I am modeling challenged, I am thinking RTR.

Patrick Foley

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
Model RR Warehouse has been looking for reservations for their brass car sides for the rebuilt hospital cars - they already offer the cars as originally built, so probably a couple dozen orders would at least get some of the more prevalent cars produced.  I've signed up for one of each type. 

Their website is a challenge to navigate, but they have indicated they are still welcoming reservations - no upfront payment needed.  http://www.mrrwarehouse.com/

Pat Foley

James W Smith

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:30:28 pm »
Chad Boas used to sell well-done car sides that can be added to Walthers floor and roof -- part numbers escape me but I can dig that out if you are interested.  Maybe Chad could be coaxed out of retirement for a car sides project.  Minimal building needed.

Doc of Bugginess

Bob Sobotka

• Monon Fireman
    • Kentuckiana Railroad
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:20:12 pm »
Model RR Warehouse has been looking for reservations for their brass car sides for the rebuilt hospital cars - they already offer the cars as originally built, so probably a couple dozen orders would at least get some of the more prevalent cars produced.  I've signed up for one of each type. 

Their website is a challenge to navigate, but they have indicated they are still welcoming reservations - no upfront payment needed.  http://www.mrrwarehouse.com/

Pat Foley

I believe I sent them an email a few years ago saying I would be interested too. For now I am working on a simple repaint of a Rivarossi 1930 coach sitting on Branchline heavyweight trucks until something else is available.