Author Topic: LNA&C layout  (Read 1130 times)

John Taylor

• Monon Fireman
LNA&C layout
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
I'm thinking about combining two of my great interests, the Civil War and trains, to build a small early 1860's LNA&C layout.  Apparently, the LNA&C was quite important to the Union in the transportation of troops and supplies.  Has anybody tried this before?  I have most of the books that deal with railroads and the Civil War but I realize it would be mostly guesswork.  Is there any information specifically dealing with locomotives, rolling stock and structures of the LNA&C in that time frame?  Probably just going with what was in general use at the time would be the best bet.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
Re: LNA&C layout
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »
There was a Virginia Civil War layout article in one of the recent model magazines, John, that might give you a lot of ideas.  Sorry I can't recall which magazine or date.  If your intent is to model a bit of the actual war, you might want to base your modeling around Salem, which was attacked by Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's raiders in the summer of 1863, destroying or damaging many LNA&C railroad facilities there.  Some of that destruction would be neat to model.  Perhaps a visit to the Salem Museum and Cecil Smith would be in order.

As for equipment, solid info--much less photos--is pretty scarce, but the all-time locomotive roster in Hilton's Monon Route book can give you a pretty good idea of the locomotives around at the time, including their names (few locos carried numbers until after the war--and all were 4-4-0's, of course).   According to the roster, LNA&C's last named loco was Achilles, built in 1865 and sometime after numbered 34.  Other renumberings are shown on the roster, which would seem to indicate the road had 34 4-4-0's in 1865--but I'd bet they had a few 0-4-0's or something also.

Good luck with your efforts--and please keep us informed of your progress!

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:35:15 pm »
John

That sounds like a very ambitious project. The area around Salem would be great to model for scenery purposes. I have read that the Town of Otis on what was the Michigan City branch was an important point for the railroad. Soldiers and supplies would arrive and then head south on the LNA&C.

Good luck and please report back on progress.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Steve Dolzall

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:53 pm »
John, Here is the 1866 locomotive roster. Perhaps it will be of help.

Roger Nulton

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:41:00 am »
John,
Here's the link to the Civil War layout:

http://usmrr.blogspot.com/

I built one in HO scale when I was in hih school being a Civil War buff as well as a model railroader.  It was crude compared to Bernie's.

Have fun!
Roger Nulton

John Taylor

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:21:05 am »
Thanks everyone for the ideas and information, I appreciate it.  I've located some HO scale Civil War troops at Hobby Lobby.  I'll keep you informed.

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:40 pm »
John, I just found that article.  More recent than I thought.  The 8-page article is in the current Model Railroader annual "Model Railroad Planning 2012" available currently in most hobby shops plus bookstores like Barnes and Nobles.  It's in O scale but is just beautiful, depicting the USMRR's 13-mile Aquia Line in late 1862 supplying the Army of the Potomac at Falmouth, VA, opposite Fredricksburg.  Burnt-out buildings and rebuilt "temporary" bridges and all.

John Taylor

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:20:44 pm »
Thanks Tim.  Sounds great.  I will definitely check that article out.

Mike Albert

• Inactive
  • Monon Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »

This month's Trains has an article on the Great Locomotive Chase, complete with pictures.  There might be information there that is helpful to you.

Mike

John Taylor

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:48:34 am »
Yeah, I got the Trains issue, very nice.  Now I may have to watch "The Great Locomotive Chase" for the umpteenth time.  Every time I watch it I think it might turn out differently, but it never does. LOL