MONON BOARD
General Monon Discussions and Questions => Question and Answers (Q&A) => Topic started by: Stew Winstandley on March 22, 2012, 04:07:17 pm
-
The Cincinnati Railroad Club has a monthly meeting in Tower A at the Cincinnati Union Terminal (CUT Museum). The Thursday, May 3rd meeting, at 7 PM, will be a program by Jim Marks. His PowerPoint presentation is entitled "Hammond, Indiana- A Railroad Town." It covers the growth of Hammond, Indiana, from 1847 to the present and its relationship to the growth of all the railroads, including interurbans, which passed through the city.
-
The Cincinnati Railroad Club has a monthly meeting in Tower A at the Cincinnati Union Terminal (CUT Museum). The Thursday, May 3rd meeting, at 7 PM, will be a program by Jim Marks. His PowerPoint presentation is entitled "Hammond, Indiana- A Railroad Town." It covers the growth of Hammond, Indiana, from 1847 to the present and its relationship to the growth of all the railroads, including interurbans, which passed through the city.
I have seen Mr. Mark's presentation on Hammond in a previous train show. It is very thorough and interesting.
-
Whenever I hear the Cincinnati Railroad Club mentioned, I think of the time back in the late 1960's when they came to Lafayette for a tour of the Monon shops. I was the safety man who was asked to accompany them, and they were an amazing group.
On several occasions earlier in my career when I felt the need to preserve a builders plate for future generations, using all the tools I had with me, it was still a major task to get them off a locomotive, and usually took 10 or 15 minutes. That gang from Cincinnati could take two spikes and have one off in 30 seconds. Like I said, amazing........
I just followed them around, and whenever they got one off, I would chastize them for their wicked ways, and confiscate the plates so the Monon shop forces could later put them back on.
I still have three or four of those plates around the house here someplace. / Ron
-
CITIZENS ARREST....CITIZENS ARREST!! Shazam.
-
Does anyone have contact information for Jim Marks?