Author Topic: George J. Rausch  (Read 2837 times)

Eric Reinert

• Monon Conductor
    • My rrpicturearchives.com site
George J. Rausch
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:24:20 pm »
My Uncle's Father, (and my friend), George J. Rausch, age 93 years, passed away on October 17th, 2015. He was hired on by the Monon at South Hammond yard as a Conductor in 1969, and worked his way up to yardmaster at Lafayette at retirement in 1986 or so from CSX. Prior to working for the Monon, he worked for Erie/E-L at their Hammond yard for quite a few years. Before that, he hired on at General American's Freight car Plant in East Chicago, Indiana in 1940 on the same day as my Grandfather, Ed Reinert. George ran and fired GATX's last steam engines  on the property and was proud to have dropped the very last fire from the very last steamer at East Chicago: the "5 Spot". His Brother Jack (John) was a long-time switchman at S. Hammond and is pictured in "The Monon In Color" as the guy with his foot up on the NW-2 wearing the Cubs hat. George's Dad, George Rausch Sr. was a long-time Switch Engineer in South Hammond and was a friend and coworker of my Great Grandfather, Paul R. Reinert as well, both having been hired on in 1915. George Sr. died on his engine in about 1948 of a heart attack. The Rauschs' and the Reinerts' have been friends for 100 years and relatives for almost 40 years.

George was quite friendly and we could talk for hours about "The Old Days".  My first meeting with him was after his Son, Paul married my Aunt Betty in the Summer of 1978 when he let me (15 y.o.) and my youngest Brother Jon (4 y.o.) ride along on the second unit as the local crew switched Metz and Rand McNally (Or whoever was in those buildings at the time). To our chagrin, we were spotted by some busybody housewife who called the Hammond PD and he had to explain that he had allowed us into the cab. He knew that South Hammond's days were numbered and wanted to give us a memory that would soon be impossible to replicate. I feel deeply humbled that he would do that for me. I miss him, and feel deeply regretful for not having taken a tape recorder along on any of my visits.

Eric J. Reinert

His official obit is below:

GEORGE J. RAUSCH HAMMOND, IN
George J. Rausch age 93 of Hammond passed away Saturday October 17, 2015 he is survived by his loving wife of 69 years Wilhelmina; three children: Judith (Richard) Preissig, John Rausch, Paul (Betty) Rausch; four grandchildren: Sarah Rausch, Dawn (Dan) Geeding, Mark (Marie) Preissig, Todd (Mary) Preissig; 12 grandchildren; many nieces and nephews. Preceded in death by his two brothers: James and John (Jack) Rausch. Funeral services will be held Thursday October 22, 2015 12:30 p.m. at the Solan Pruzin Funeral Home 7109 Calumet Ave. Hammond, IN with Pastor Bassam Abdallah officiating at rest Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens Schererville, IN.
Eric Reinert