Author Topic: Hole in #207?  (Read 1713 times)

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
Hole in #207?
« on: April 04, 2021, 02:30:47 pm »
Attached is a photo of #207 with what appears to be a hole in its side, however, I can't tell if its a hole or a flaw in the photo.  If it's a hole, what could have caused damage like this?

George L.

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
Re: Hole in #207?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 09:50:43 am »
That looks like an actual hole in the carbody - I think I can see the prime mover inside. Considering the likely age and condition of #207 when this picture was taken, corrosion is probable. I see a patch in the sheet metal just in front (left) of the 3rd porthole/window. Also...look closely at the hole, and I think you'll see shadows that are consistent with the shadow cast by the entire unit.

Damage to the side of locomotives and cars from various flying debris was (and is) not uncommon - else there would not be a requirement in today's FRA regulations for safety glass in locomotive windows. I occasionally see requests for waivers of that requirement on the Federal Register, requested on behalf of tourist railroads and other low-speed rail operations.

Mark J
Columbia MO

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:19:51 am »
Mark,

Thanks for your answer.  I agree, it looks like some equipment is visible through the hole.   I wondered if some sort of internal explosion might have caused it.

George L.

Craig Myers

• Monon Fireman
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 04:01:36 pm »
I found this picture on the internet and it looks to be the same picture just cropped different with no hole in the side. So I would say it’s a flaw in the picture.

Mark Johnson

• Monon Conductor
    • MJ's LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 09:27:11 am »
Comparing the two pictures - yes, it does look like a flaw in the photograph...but the odd thing is that the shadows are all in the right places (I know, that's a dangerous statement to make around here) and what's seen in the 'hole' sure looks like mechanical equipment.

Very strange...

Mark J
Columbia MO

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 11:02:00 am »
I have zoomed in on the same area in both images and it still looks like both could be valid.  The damaged image is interesting because the hole seems to accurately fit the features (windows, trim) on the locomotive.  It would seem like damage to the photo would be much more random in nature and then there's the issue of what looks like it's machinery in the hole.

I have a conspiracy that someone's messing with us.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

George L.

Ryan Rybarczyk

• Monon Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 11:56:00 am »
It is a black sharpie - the picture posted by Craig is correct.

Rick Berg

• Global Admin.
  • Monon Dispatcher
    • Rick's MONON Railroad Site
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 11:58:00 am »
It is 2 different photos none the less, look at the clouds.

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 01:48:08 pm »
Rick,

You are right about the clouds.  I think they are two different photos, but they sure are close in every other detail.  The color tint also is slightly different, but that can be altered inadvertently with digital editing.  I'm still struck by the fact that the damage hole in the one photo very closely lines up with the features of the car body.

The mystery continues.

George L.

Ryan Rybarczyk

• Monon Brakeman
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 10:18:36 am »
Look under the front number board and you will see another small line of the sharpie.

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 11:55:54 am »
Ryan,

I see it.  All this does for me is to make it more mysterious.  Wish we had more complete captions for these two photos.  I think both shots were taken at Shops when the F3s were in the scrap line.  If I could turn the clock back and had a lot of money at the time, I would have made an offer to buy some of those locomotives!  It would be great to have them around somewhere today.

George L.