Author Topic: MRHTS Member - Ritenour Dave W.  (Read 4898 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Monon Fireman
MRHTS Member - Ritenour Dave W.
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:35 am »
David W.
Ritenour,

David W. Ritenour, age 80, of Monticello, IN, passed away at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 1, 2012 at IU White Memorial Hospital in Monticello. Born January 20, 1932 in Rockford, IL, he was the son of the late Clyde W. and Marjorie Staples Ritenour. He graduated from Milford Township High School in Milford, IL and he received his Bachelors Degree from Purdue University in 1954. David served in the Army from 1954 to 1956 and was honorably discharged. He married Aldine Rieches on May 26, 1954 in Watseka, IL and she survives. David was a Property and Claims Underwriter and worked in claims at State Farm Insurance for 37 ½ years, retiring in 1994. He attended St. James Lutheran Church in Lafayette. David enjoyed model railroads, and railroad history, particularly the Monon RR and the Denver & Rio Grande RR.

Surviving with his wife are two daughters, Patricia "Trica" Ritenour of Crown Point, IN and Cynthia "Cindy" Grimes (husband, Tony) of Lafayette; a son, David Ritenour (wife, Pam) of Fort Wayne; a brother, James Ritenour (wife, Marcia) of Gold Canyon, Arizona; and a sister-in-law, Patricia Ritenour of Bradley, IL. Also surviving are 6 grandchildren and 9 great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a brother, Robert Ritenour.

The family will receive friends one hour prior to the memorial service at 2:00 p.m. Monday in Hippensteel Funeral Home with Celebrant Linda Regnier officiating. Memorial contributions may be made to the donor's favorite charity. Hippensteel Funeral Home entrusted with care. Share memories and condolences online at www.hippensteelfuneralservice.com
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:44:12 am by Pete Pedigo »

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Re: MRHTS Member - Ritenour Dave W.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:38:55 am »
My condolences to Dave's Family. He was a good friend to me and the Society.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:47 am »
Our hearts are saddened at the passing of Dave.  He was a dear friend to Betty and I, and we will miss him terribly.  He was a gentleman, a kind and decent person, and the world is a better place for his having been here.  Rest In Peace old buddy,  / Ron 

Sharon Eberhard

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
  • Cookie's Sister
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:20:55 am »
I sat with Mr & Mrs Ritenour at Cookie's 50th wedding celebration.  We had some great conversation along with Ron Marquardt who sat the same table.  I will remember Dave most for his photography of the Monon.  His CD of photos is one of my favorites.  The picture that I posted earlier was one of Dave's.   

Sharon

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:18 pm »
Dave, Dick Fontaine, and myself spent many days together taking photos of the Monon, and some of our finest pictures came from Dave's camera.  During the last month of Monon operations, Dave and Dick had passes to ride any trains they wanted, and photograph anywhere on the property.  It was a Monon railfan's dream, and Dave took full advantage of it.  He spent many of those days riding with me, and the memories of those trips will live with me forever. 

Dave loved all railroading, big and small.  He had a world class railroad library, he did a lot of historical research and volunteer work for the Society, he spent a lot of time riding and photographing trains in Colorado, and he was an avid modeler of the Rio Grande Southern Railroad in Sn3.  Dave even took his turn at the throttle, as he was doing the day I shot the attached photo at the Rainesville steam show.  Engineer Dave, fireman Fontaine, brakeman Betty Joe, and conductor Jim Fain.  What a crew, and what good times we all had together.

Dave leaves a nice family, close friends, and a good life well lived.  It doesn't get much better than that.  / Ron
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:27:09 pm by Ron Marquardt »

Rick Dreistadt

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:27:59 pm »
I remember Ron taking me to Dave's home a few years ago.  I enjoyed the visit and enjoyed meeting Dave.  Thanks to Dave and others photographs of the Monon, it still lives in our hearts and minds.  Rest in peace Dave.
Rick

Sharon Eberhard

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
  • Cookie's Sister
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »
Message of condolence has been posted on the funeral home web site.  Sympathy card (using one of Dave's photos) will go out tomorrow to Mrs. Ritenour.