Author Topic: Delphi RoW  (Read 3662 times)

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
Delphi RoW
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »
I was using Google Earth trying to find the old Monon RoW through Delphi.  It clearly shows the RoW coming in from the northwest from Sleeth and running parallel with the now NS RoW, but then it disappears until you pick it up in the far southeast of town on the way to Harley.  Can anyone post a map showing where the Monon ran through Delphi?

Steve Dolzall

• Monon Conductor
Re: Delphi RoW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »
Delphi Map from Trains, July, 1947 issue

Gene Remaly

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:07:22 am »
The MONON ran beside the Wabash just East of both depots. The Monon crossed the Wabash by the use of two turnouts as there wasn't room for a diamond.

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:43:27 am »
Thanks Gene and Steve.  Usually you can see evidences of the old RoWs on Google Earth even though the track is long gone.  For some reason, when they removed the Monon track at Delphi, the RoW segment that ran southeast after it left running parallel to the Wabash is not visible.  I was trying to determine what streets it crossed as it headed away toward Harley, but I haven't seen a detailed enough map of Delphi to figure it out.  I think this is the segment of the Monon RoW where the Milroy sculptures were supposedy located.

George L.

Robert Gibson

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:47 am »
I took this photo of the Delphi Monon-Wabash crossing in June 1979.  We are looking east with the Monon coming from lower left and crossing the Wabash heading upper right.

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:26:46 am »
Speaking of Google Earth, because of the effect the railroad cender ballast had on the farmland northwest of LaCrosse, you can still clearly see traces of the old C&C line, and it was abandoned and removed in 1865.  It's really amazing that it still shows.  / Ron

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:45:01 pm »
Regarding the MONON RoW throught Delphi, Gene Remaly recently said "The Monon crossed the Wabash by the use of two turnouts as there wasn't room for a diamond."  Well, there may have been turnouts in place of a diamond during more recent L&N-to-CSX times, but there sure were diamond(s) crossing the Wabash back in MONON days.  See the attached scans.

Robert Gibson

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:24:40 pm »
That clears that up.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Mike Albert

• Inactive
  • Monon Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:56 am »
The power switches were in place at Delphi in the later years of the Monon.  The Wabash had at least one other junction where they eliminated the diamond and installed a crossover.

Jim Wolfe

• Inactive
  • Monon Fireman
    • Hoosiernetwork
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 10:39:06 pm »
George

The red arrows indicate an overhead passing, "bridges". From left to right is, old Indiana 25, the Fort Wayne and Wabash Valley traction line, New Indiana 25 and then to the far right is the Milroy crossing. This photo capture is looking towards Logansport from Delphi. The house with the grey roof is the Milroy home.  I have many detailed photos of the area, just ask and I will see if I have anything that will answer your curiosity.

Jim

Geof Burns

• Monon Brakeman
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:01:19 pm »
George,
Attached is a larger Google Earth image of the East end of Delphi showing the location of the ROW.
Geof

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
Geof and Jim,

Many thanks for the RoW information.  This is the stuff I was missing.  For some reason, the maps I had didn't give any detail like the last one you sent.

George L.