Author Topic: New Pellet Plant at Reynolds replacing 1/2 built & abandoned Alcohol Plant  (Read 1473 times)

Robert Wheeler

• Archivist Emeritus
  • Monon Conductor
The attached three page article about a new industry going in at Reynolds appeared in the January 27 /February3 issue of Engineering News-Record (ENR). It is a semi-weekly construction trade journal mostly available by subscription.

It is a pellet plant being built in place of an uncompleted/abandoned grain to alcohol plant possibly in the north-east quadrant of the PRR-MON crossing as it will be served by both railroads.

Looks like when in operation the inbound loads will be iron ore, coal, coke, gas or oil by pipeline, limestone (by truck), and other minerals used to make taconite. Out bound would be taconite for small  steel plants.
Robert E. Wheeler, PE, Archivist Emeritus rewheeler@iquest.net
MONHTS Tippecanoe Member #13

Stew Winstandley

• Monon Engineer
Re: New Pellet Plant at Reynolds
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:04 pm »
Here's a link to more information about the pellet plant at Reynolds:
http://www.magnetation.com/reynolds-in-iron-ore/

From what I've read, there will also be shipments of stone to the plant.  Here's some of the messages posted on the Indiana Railroads board:
"they bought the Monon quarry from Hanson"
"The Monon quarry is dolomitic (higher in magnesium), the Rogers Group quarry is high calcium. Both types of stone are required by Magnetation"
"A new transload yard at Monon is being built for this purpose. The clam shell unloader is already there. This would be to the west of the Airline yard where the old engine house & MofW storage area was"

A link to a Hanson Quarry at Monon is:
http://www.indmaa.org/Aglime/Hanson-AggregatesMonon-Quarry-173

Is this quarry near the old Monon line to Indianapolis that CSX wants to abandon?

Stew

Mike Aufderheide

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
Funny they they would put the transload area in the west yard (airline yard)  when the quarry is right there on the mainline?  I'll have to figure that out. Road trip!

Mike Aufderheide

Ron Marquardt

I was by there two weeks ago, and although I didn't get out and look in detail, CSX was installing a couple of double headed signals just north of Reynolds.  These types of signals would normally be used at an interlocking plant where power switches are involved, so I'm curious about what the track arrangements will be there when it's finished.  / Ron

Craig Myers

• Monon Fireman
I just drove by myself and looked around.  It looks like CSX is installing power switches and derails into the steel pant.  There are also new signals at the TP&W diamond on both CSX and TP&W.  By the looks of the signals there will also be power switches at both ends of the wye at Reynolds.  The switch into the north end of the steel plant will be called North Reynolds and the south switch will be part of the interlocker for the diamond and be called Reynolds Interlocker.