Author Topic: Stone Quarries and Mills  (Read 4205 times)

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
Stone Quarries and Mills
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:00:30 pm »
I've long been confused to trying to identify the various limestone stone quarries and mills that once provided much of the lifeblood of the lower middle and upper south divisions.  So I've attempted to list them, from Stinesville south to Bedford, using two maps spanning the period 1931 to about 1950.  The list is attached.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, corrections, clarifications, additions, subtractions or other input from our membership.

Ron Marquardt

Re: Stone Quarries and Mills
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:24:19 am »
Tim, might I suggest that you get a copy of the Limestone Gazetteer, written by member Clay Stuckey and available through the Lawrence County Historical Society in Bedford.  It lists every limestone mill and quarry between Stinesville and Bedford from the beginning to 1950 including pictures and maps.  I also refer you to the Society's CD of Track Profiles & Station Names which has maps of all quarries and mills in the entire stones district, dated May 1950.  Both of these are excellent sources of information.  / Ron
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:29:22 am by Ron Marquardt »

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:02:09 pm »
Never before heard of the Stuckey book, Ron, but I'll look into it.  As for the May 1950 map, I think that's the one I have a large scan of and that I used to try to ID the facilities still in operation around 1950.  It's a segment of a commercial map of the area overwritten with quarry and mill names, most barely legible.

I also have both (2?) versions of the Track Profiles CD and sure can't find any Mill or Quarry maps on either. 

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »

Tim, in Version 6.3 of 6-28-12 copy, look under "Terminals and Misc Maps.  Four images.  / Ron

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:40 am »
This document can be found and downloaded from the Internet.  The URL is:

http://bl-libg-doghill.ads.iu.edu/gpd-web/gazetteeroflimestonemills.pdf

George L.

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:07:32 pm »
Well..........  not exactly George.  The original document is 128 pages long and includes about 40 pages of photographs.  The document on the Internet has only 85 pages and no photographs.  / Ron
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:26:36 pm by Ron Marquardt »

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 03:50:55 pm »
Thanks, George!  Got it!  A huge compilation that will take a while to get through.  This is great, though its list has two shortcomings; it doesn't cover quarries and it doesn't identify which railroad (if any) served each mill.  But I'll be checking this info against my list and modifying it accordingly.