Author Topic: Monon Shops Bus  (Read 1870 times)

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
Monon Shops Bus
« on: May 05, 2016, 11:47:15 am »
I found this negative on eBay and cleaned it up as best I could.  I think it shows Monon employees boarding the Shops Bus in downtown Lafayette.

George L.

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
Re: Monon Shops Bus
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:48:33 am »
Sorry, forgot to attach the photo.

George L.

Robert Wheeler

• Archivist Emeritus
  • Monon Conductor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:16:25 pm »
The "MONON SHOPS-UNIVERSITY" bus route was a regular bus and proceeding  trolley route of the Lafayette Transit system. For many years the end points were at the north end of the shops entrance at McDoel St. and Monon Ave. This is one block north of Schuyler Ave where the Indiana Service Co  to Ft. Wayne (Interurban) came into town). In West Lafayette the end of the "U" shaped route was at University St. and Stadium Avenue.

The picture was likely taken in downtown Lafayette at  the old trolley "transfer center" aka 9th & Main.

The Lafayette Street Railway history is in Bulletin#32 (1958) of the Electric Railway Historical Society. Many of you may have this in your collections as it contains some Monon history.
Robert E. Wheeler, PE, Archivist Emeritus rewheeler@iquest.net
MONHTS Tippecanoe Member #13

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:37:32 am »
Thanks for the history, Bob.

George L.

Robert Gibson

• Monon Conductor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:46:32 pm »
That photo was taken on Main Street on the north side of the courthouse before Main Street was made one-way west around 1950.  Today Main St. is again a two-way street.