Author Topic: Frieght at Mitchell  (Read 5066 times)

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
Frieght at Mitchell
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:00 am »
This shot was used as the current POTW on the web site. There are two foreign road locomotives in the consist. I apologize that I do not have a larger scan, or any additional information, other than this was taken at Mitchell and the freight is southbound. Rick Berg asked me if I had additional info on the picture, which I did not. Any know who's power that is?
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Steve Dolzall

• Monon Conductor
Re: Frieght at Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:54:06 pm »
I think there is a good chance the two locomotives are new export units from EMD on their way to a southern port for shipment most likely to South America.

Tim T Swan

• Monon Engineer
  • Modeling Bedford in 1948
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:59:02 pm »
If it's out of the MRHTS archives, perhaps Mr. Marquardt can show us a better/larger scan so we can have a better look.

Ken Weller

• Inactive
  • Monon Conductor
Re: Freight at Mitchell
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »
The 2 locos appear to be silver/gray with a blue stripe.
I can't tell whether they are Alco or EMD.

Is there any website where we can look up what locos were being manufactured
for export in 1965? 
K Weller

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »
If it's out of the MRHTS archives, perhaps Mr. Marquardt can show us a better/larger scan so we can have a better look.

Tim, I don't know who put the lettering on the picture, but I can't find one like it in the archives, nor do I ever remember having seen one before.  Sorry.  / Ron

PS, when someone wants a high resolution copy of a low-rez photo that has been posted, and you are a member of MRH&TS, contact me off list and if the picture is not Archive only,  I will send you a digital copy.   I will do the same for non-members but there will be a charge involved.

I will not post high-rez archive photos on the Chatroom because these are the same photos we are trying to sell on CD's to raise money to support the Society.

Tom Kepshire

• Inactive
  • Monon Dispatcher
  • Go Blackhawks.
    • Bygone Places Along The Monon
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:27:17 pm »
I labeled it Ron. I used it as a Picture Of The Week and since I was not 100% certain where I obtained it, I put the MRHTS Collection lettering. And, that is the largest scan that I have.
Life Member #22
Visit www.monon.org

Ron Marquardt

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »
That's fine Tom.  I didn't remember having seen it before, but maybe I did and just forgot it.  It is a nice picture.  May have been a Tom Smart photo.  / Ron

George Lortz

• Monon Engineer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »
Larger, but fuzzier.

George L.